This phyllo turkey pie has all of the flavors of a turkey sandwich, but it’s so much better! Make an extra batch for the freezer.
Watch the Video
If you’ve ever wondered how to make your favorite turkey sandwich even better, here it is! This Greek-style turkey and cheese phyllo pie is delicious, a little fancy, and super easy to make. It’s my spin on zambonotiropita, which is a Greek ham and cheese phyllo pie. No one in my family eats ham, so I make the turkey version. You’ll have all of the components of the typical turkey sandwich plus more wrapped up in buttery phyllo dough. And, everything you need is store-bought, so all you have to do is put it together.
Best phyllo for turkey and cheese pie?
I always have #4 phyllo in the freezer, and I use it for everything. However, the country phyllo is probably even better. You can find these in full or half sheets, and either will work. To prepare the phyllo to use, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator, then pull it out of the fridge 2 hours before working with it to allow it to come to room temperature. Be sure to leave your phyllo in its packaging while thawing so that it won’t dry out, crumble, or break up. Cold phyllo tears and crumbles easily.
Why this will become a family favorite
- Crispy, buttery phyllo
- Turkey, mustard, and cheese combo
- Easy to assemble and bake
- Turkey sandwich to another level!
What makes this so much better than a turkey sandwich
- #4 phyllo at room temperature –country-style phyllo would be great, too.
- Turkey slices –I prefer smoked, but use whatever you have in the fridge.
- Slices of Gouda or Muenster cheese –these are my favorite but use your favorite
- Feta cheese –crumbled from a block for the best flavor
- Roasted red peppers –straight from the jar, they add a little smoky and sweet flavor
- Crushed red pepper flakes –optional for a bit of heat
- Dried crushed oregano –thyme would also be good
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Mustard –use your favorite! Yellow, Dijon, or deli-style would all be delicious.
- Salted butter
Can you make this pie ahead?
Yes! This pie is a great pie to make ahead and freeze. It freezes well, and you’ll have a delicious pie on hand for any occasion. Once you assemble your turkey and cheese pie, just put it in the freezer instead of the oven. When the occasion arrives, pull the pie out and follow the exact thawing instructions as the phyllo-thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then bring to room temperature on the counter before baking. Bake, cook, and serve!
How to make Phyllo Turkey and cheese pie
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F, 190 °C.
- Separate the phyllo into two equal stacks.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and layer one stack of the phyllo on the tray. Drizzle each phyllo layer with melted butter.
- Spread the mustard over the top layer of phyllo. Top with the turkey slices and then with the cheese slices. Add the crumbled feta cheese on top and then the roasted red peppers along with the seasonings.
- Top with the remaining phyllo making sure to drizzle butter between each layer.
- Roll the edges of the phyllo over to create a rustic border. Score the pie into 9-12 pieces and brush the top and the border with the remaining butter.
- Bake until golden and crisp. About 40 minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool for 15 minutes, then cut through the pie where you scored it to separate the pieces.
You don’t even need a fork for this crispy phyllo turkey and cheese pie! Which would make it a great option for lunch, dinner, or a casual get-together. If you want to make it a little fancier, make a quick Greek salad while your pie is cooking. It will all come together in no time for a delicious meal.
Greek Phyllo Pie filled with Turkey & Cheese
- 1 pound (#4) phyllo at room temperature
- 10-12 turkey slices
- 9-10 slices of Gouda or Muenster cheese
- 4 ounces of feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 roasted red peppers, sliced
- a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed oregano
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons of mustard
- 6 ounces (170 g) salted butter, melted
Preheat the oven to 375 °F, 190 °C.
Separate the phyllo into two equal stacks.
Line a baking tray with parchment paper and layer one stack of the phyllo on the tray. Drizzle each phyllo layer with melted butter.
Spread the mustard over the top layer of phyllo. Top with the turkey slices and then with the cheese slices. Add the crumbled feta cheese on top and then the roasted red peppers along with the seasonings.
Top with the remaining phyllo making sure to drizzle butter between each layer.
Roll the edges of the phyllo over to create a rustic border. Score the pie into 9 pieces and brush the top and the border with the remaining butter.
Bake until golden and crisp. About 40 minutes.
Allow the pie to cool for 15 minutes and serve. Kali Orexi!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Quarter Sheet, 2-Pack
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets, 12x16 Inches Non-Stick Precut Baking Parchment, Perfect for Baking Grilling Air Fryer Steaming Bread Cup Cake Cookie and More (Unbleached)
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Berard Olive-Wood Handcrafted Salt Keeper
Leave a Reply