FRENCH LENTIL SALAD WITH ROASTED ONIONS & CARROTS
- 1 cup French lentils
- 6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced in half
- 3-4 sun dried tomatoes, chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- feta cheese (as much or as little as you like)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or a little less)
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (the best kind you can get)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- freshly ground black pepper
- a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- toasted pine nuts, walnuts or pecans
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the sliced onions with the carrots on the side on a baking sheet. Pour the 1/4 cup olive oil and toss the vegetables around so that they are all coated. Roast for about 20 minutes or until the onions turn golden, Some will become a little brown. Don't worry.
- Rinse the lentils and place them in a saucepan with about 6 cups water, the bay leaf and about 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 15-20 minutes. The lentils will be cooked but still firm. This salad tastes better if the lentils do not get overcooked and mushy.... So take care not to over cook them.
- Make the dressing while the lentils are boiling and the veggies are roasting. Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt and oregano with both peppers.
- Drain the lentils and add them to the salad dressing while still warm. Toss them around to coat and so that they absorb all of the flavor.
- Add the chopped parsley with the chopped sun dried tomatoes. Toss.
- When the onions and carrots are done roasting, chop the carrots into chunks and add to the salad.
- Arrange the lentil salad on a plate or bowl. Add the roasted onions on top and the feta all around the salad.
Leave a Reply