- ½ cup (100g) yellow split peas, rinsed and soaked for 30 minutes
- ½ small onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2-3 tablespoons light olive oil,
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed oregano
- ½ teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of half a lemon, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon capers
- 1 scallion, finely sliced
- Kalamata olives
- Sundried tomatoes, packed in olive oil
- Toasted pine nuts
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Drizzle of good quality Greek olive oil
- A delicious way to cook and enjoy split peas. Use it to dip vegetables in it, pita bread or as a spread in sandwiches. It stays fresh for many days in the refrigerator so make a big batch to enjoy throughout the week.
- Rinse the split peas with cold water until the water runs clear. Soak at least 30 minutes.
- Place the sliced onions, garlic and olive oil in a small pot and cook over high heat until golden. About 5 minutes.
- Drain the water from the split peas and add to the pot along with salt, oregano, and black pepper. Pour 2-3 cups hot water over top, bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cook, stirring every few minutes and adding more water (half cup each time) when necessary. Cook until the split peas are soft. About 1 cup of liquid should remain in the pot at the end of cooking.
- Puree the mixture until smooth.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Add the lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings and serve with vegetables and/or warm bread.