- Serves 3-4:
- ½ cup (100g) yellow split peas, rinsed and soaked for 30 minutes
- ½ small onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2-3 tablespoons light olive oil,
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed oregano
- ½ teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of half a lemon, or to taste
- Garnish options:
- ½ teaspoon capers
- 1 scallion, finely sliced
- Kalamata olives
- Sundried tomatoes, packed in olive oil
- Toasted pine nuts
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Drizzle of good quality Greek olive oil
A delicious way to cook and enjoy split peas. Use it to dip vegetables in it, pita bread or as a spread in sandwiches. It stays fresh for many days in the refrigerator so make a big batch to enjoy throughout the week.
Rinse the split peas with cold water until the water runs clear. Soak at least 30 minutes.
Place the sliced onions, garlic and olive oil in a small pot and cook over high heat until golden. About 5 minutes.
Drain the water from the split peas and add to the pot along with salt, oregano, and black pepper. Pour 2-3 cups hot water over top, bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium low.
Cook, stirring every few minutes and adding more water (half cup each time) when necessary. Cook until the split peas are soft. About 1 cup of liquid should remain in the pot at the end of cooking.
Puree the mixture until smooth.
Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
Add the lemon juice and mix to combine.
Garnish with your favorite toppings and serve with vegetables and/or warm bread.