For the syrup:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 1 and ½ cup water
- Juice of a medium lemon
For the cake:
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light olive oil, or flavorless vegetable oil
- ¾ cup fine semolina flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Zest of a medium lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut, plus more for garnish
- ground seeds of 2-5 cardamom pods, ½ cup finely ground almonds, ½ cup golden raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180°C.
- Grease a 9-inch round baking dish and line with parchment paper.
- Combine the all-purpose flour, semolina flour, salt, baking powder, and lemon zest in a bowl. Whisk all of the ingredients together until combined.
- Make the syrup by combining the sugar, water, lemon juice, and honey in a small pot. Mix together and bring to a boil. As soon as the sugar is dissolved remove from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Combine the eggs and sugar in the bowl of a table top mixer and mix on high speed 3-5 minutes or until thick, pale yellow and fluffy.
- Add the olive oil, vanilla and almond extract and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture in three batches, whisking slowly. Take care not to overmix.
- Fold in the coconut with a spatula and pour all of the cake batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, poke all over with a toothpick or skewer and pour all of the cooled syrup over top.
- Allow to rest for at least an hour or up to overnight (in the refrigerator) so that all of the syrup is absorbed.
- Invert onto a dish or cake pedestal and garnish the top with shredded coconut and confectioner’s sugar (optional).
- For an indulgent treat, serve topped with a scoop of ice cream or with some homemade whipped cream.