- Serves 10-12:
- 1 pound dry cannellini beans, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
Drain the water from the beans that have been soaking overnight.
In a large pot combine the oil and chopped onions. Cook over medium heat until soft. About 10 minutes.
Add chopped carrots and celery to the softened onions and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the strained and soaked cannellini beans with the crushed tomatoes with 12 cups of water.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce to low heat and cook for about 2 hours. Add more water if needed.
Season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle the dried oregano and chopped parsley.
Serve with warm crusty bread, olives and some feta cheese.
This soup tastes better the next day. It also freezes beautifully.