- 1 pound dry lentils
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 15 ounces canned, pureed tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Optional: feta cheese and toasted bread
Place the onions, garlic, carrots, and olive oil in a large pot. Cook for 15 minutes over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
Rinse the lentils with cool water until the water runs clear.
Add the rinsed lentils to the pot along with the salt, pepper, tomato puree, oregano, and 12 cups water.
Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 35 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
Adjust seasoning to your preferred taste.
Add more water if needed.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with some feta cheese and warm hearty bread slices.
Once completely cool, this soup can be stored in the freezer for a month.