FAKES: LENTIL SOUP
- 1 pound dry lentils
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 15 ounces canned, pureed tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- feta cheese and toasted bread
- Place the onions, garlic, carrots, and olive oil in a large pot. Cook for 15 minutes over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
- Rinse the lentils with cool water until the water runs clear.
- Add the rinsed lentils to the pot along with the salt, pepper, tomato puree, oregano, and 12 cups water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 35 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Adjust seasoning to your preferred taste.
- Add more water if needed.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with some feta cheese and warm hearty bread slices.
- Once completely cool, this soup can be stored in the freezer for a month.
Leave a Reply