Creamy spinach, greens, and feta filling topped with flaky puff pastry in a skillet!
Watch the Video:
I know everyone loves different versions of spinach pie, so I’m sharing another one. My easy spinach and feta pie is full of mixed greens and cooked in a cast iron skillet. If you follow my spinach pie variations, you know I don’t usually cook the filling. However, for this skillet pie, I do cook the filling because I use a lot of fresh greens. I use delicate baby spinach, kale, and chard and combine them with feta and cream cheese in a skillet. Then, top the filling with puff pastry. It all comes together and bakes in one skillet, so this may be my easiest version yet!
You can make this every day
- Buttery, flaky puff pastry
- Melt in your mouth greens
- Creamy cheese
- Briny bites of feta
- Super easy, rich, and creamy skillet spinach and feta puff pastry pie!
Everything you’ll need
- Puff pastry
- Baby greens –spinach, chard, kale, arugula, or your favorite combination
- Baby spinach leaves
- Olive oil –try the one in our shop made from my family’s olive trees!
- Scallions –thinly sliced and swirled in a bowl of cool water to release any dirt
- Garlic cloves –grated or minced
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- All-purpose flour
- Dried dill –or ¼ cup of fresh dill, mint, and/or parsley
- Cream cheese –softened to room temperature
- Feta cheese –crumbled from a block to avoid overly salted pre-crumbles
- Egg wash: 1 egg yolk whisked with 2-3 tablespoons of water
Easy Spinach Skillet Pie with Phyllo
If you want to skip the puff pastry and use phyllo, this spinach skillet pie will be just as delicious. My favorite way to use it is to crinkle up the layers in an accordion style way, and keep adding accordion layers until the filling is covered. You can watch my Tik Tok Crinkle Greek Custard Cake video to see how I crinkle the phyllo layers. Brush the phyllo with butter or olive oil and bake the exact same way as you would the puff pastry skillet pie.
How to make Easy Spinach and Feta Pie
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F, 190 °C.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet (12-inch) over medium heat and cook the scallions with olive oil and a pinch of salt until softened –about a minute or two.
- Add the garlic and warm through until fragrant –a few seconds.
- Add the greens in a few batches and cook over high heat so that most of the liquid evaporates.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Then, add the flour and toast for a few minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the dill and cream cheese until smooth.
- Crumble the feta and add it to the mixture.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Roll out the puff pastry to 14-16 inches in diameter on a floured work surface.
- Put it over the filling to cover it completely, and fold the sides to fit in the skillet.
- Cut some slits in the puff pastry to allow the steam to escape, and brush it with the egg wash.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until golden.
- Allow the pie to rest for 15 minutes to set before serving.
Puffier puff pastry topping
If you’d like the puff pastry to be puffier, use both sheets of the puff pastry from the box without rolling it. Arrange it over the filling in an even layer without overlapping too much, so the pastry bakes evenly. You can even cut the puff pastry to fit or create shapes to make a decorative top. Let me know what your favorite way is!
The hardest part about this recipe is waiting for the pie to set. Fifteen minutes can seem like forever when smelling and looking at this delicious golden brown pie. However, it’s important to give the filling a chance to set. If you cut it too soon, the filling is so hot that it runs together as you try to remove the slices. So, try to keep yourself occupied during this cooling period. I serve it as an appetizer, side dish, and I even eat it for lunch sometimes. I know you’ll make this as often as I do. Kali Orexi!
More Spanakopita Recipes:
Easy Spinach & Feta Pie
Creamy Spinach, greens, and fet filling topped with flaky puff pastry in a skillet.
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1.5 pounds (680g) mixed baby greens (spinach, chard, kale)
- 1 pound (455g) baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, grated
- salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried dill
- 8 oz (230g) cream cheese, softened
- 8 oz (230g) feta cheese
- egg wash: 1 egg yolk plus 2-3 tablespoons water
Preheat the oven to 375 °F, 190 °C.
Heat a cast-iron skilllet (12-inch) over medium heat and add the scallions with the olive oil and a pinch of salt. Cook until softened about a minute or two.
Add the garlic and warm through until fragrant, a few seconds.
Add the greens in a few batches and cook over high heat so that most of the liquid evaporates. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the flour and toast for a few minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the dill and cream cheese. Mix until smooth. Crumble the feta and add it to the mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Roll out the puff pastry so that it covers the filling.
Place the pastry over the filling and cut some slits on top so that the steam escapes.
Brush with the eggwash.
Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until golden.
Allow the pie to rest for 20 minutes before serving.
Kali Orexi! Enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
COSORI ProII Air Fryer Oven Combo, 5.8QT Max Xl Large Cooker with 12 One-Touch Saveable Custom Functions, Cookbook and Oneline Recipes, Nonstick and Dishwasher-Safe Detachable Square Basket
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Olive Oil- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (500ml/15.9 oz)
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
Lodge Cast Iron Skillet with Red Silicone Hot Handle Holder, 12-inch
Leave a Reply