CRETAN DAKOS SALAD (BARLEY RUSK BRUSCHETTA)
- 1 Dako (barley rusk), toasted whole grain bread may be substituted
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 shallot
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Feta cheese (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 Kalamata olives, sliced and pitted
- dried oregano
- sea salt
- bell pepper slices
- If using toasted bread, do not wet it at all.
- Begin by dipping the rusk in water. Do this quickly so that the rusk moistens but does not soak in the water. The flavor should come from the tomatoes and olive oil, not the water.
- Place the moistened rusk on a plate.
- Grate one of the tomatoes on a box grater and chop the other.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the rusk.
- Top with the grated tomato. Season with some sea salt.
- Place the chopped tomato over the grated and season with more sea salt.
- Crumble the feta cheese on top and garnish with the sliced olives.
- Slice the shallot finely and add it to your rusk.
- Drizzle generously with more olive oil and add the dried oregano on top.
- Eat this as soon as possible.
Leave a Reply