Greek-style cheese sticks make the perfect party appetizer!
Watch the Video:
Every time I serve these delicious cheesy phyllo rolls, everyone says they’re like creamy mozzarella sticks. They’re actually more similar to tiropita because you wrap the cheese filling in crispy phyllo, but the filling is much creamier. The secret is cream cheese. It adds a bit of tanginess and makes the filling nice and smooth. I used to use ricotta in this filling, but I found the cream cheese creates a more decadent filling, and the herbs add a ton of freshness. Everyone loves these at my parties!
Why everyone will love it
Buttery, crispy phyllo
Rich, creamy cream cheese
Salty, briny feta
Stringy, chewy mozzarella
Fresh Mediterranean herbs
Easy to make, delicious, crispy, creamy, string cheesy phyllo rolls!
Easy cheesy ingredients
- Salted butter -melted
- #4 phyllo -thawed and at room temp.
The Cheese filling
- Feta cheese –sheep’s milk feta tastes best and is creamiest!
- Shredded mozzarella cheese -or any mild and stringy cheese
- Cream cheese at room temp. -makes the filling so creamy
- Finely chopped mint -or your favorite herbs
- Dried crushed oregano
- Freshly cracked black pepper
Working with phyllo
Working with phyllo is easy if you follow a few tips. First, you’ll find it in your supermarket’s freezer section, and you should keep it frozen until you’re ready to use it. Move it to the refrigerator the night before you make your phyllo rolls. Then, set it on the counter to come to room temperature for at least an hour before you’ll work with it. Be sure to leave the phyllo in the package while it’s on the counter so it doesn’t dry out. Remove the phyllo from the package when you’re ready, and store any leftovers refrigerated in plastic for up to a week.
How to make Cheesy Phyllo Rolls
Make the Cheese Filling
- Mix all of the filling ingredients together in a bowl until incorporated.
Assemble the Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper and set aside.
- Take one sheet of phyllo, and drizzle some melted butter over top.
- Fold it in half lengthwise, and place a tablespoon of the cheese filling at the bottom of the pastry, keeping it centered.
- Fold over both sides (right and left long sides) of the phyllo over the filling.
- Drizzle with some more melted butter.
- Roll the pastry all the way up.
- Place on the prepared baking tray.
- Keep doing this until all of the phyllo and/or cheese filling is gone.
- Brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter and pierce using a fork so that the steam escapes during baking.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven until golden and crisp, about 35-40 minutes.
Make-ahead Freezer Instructions
Assemble the pastries, place them on parchment-lined baking trays, and chill in the freezer until firm. Either transfer the frozen rolls to a freezer-safe bag or wrap the tray in plastic wrap to keep frozen for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen at 350 °F until golden and crisp.
I make these cheesy phyllo rolls as an appetizer for my parties and to take as an appetizer for parties I go to. They’re always a big hit with the kids and the adults. Let’s face it, they’re like the grown-up version of cheese sticks! You don’t even need a sauce because the filling is creamy enough to provide the perfect amount of gooiness for the crispy phyllo. Kali Orexi!
More Phyllo Recipes:
Cheesy Phyllo Rolls
- about 6 oz salted butter, melted
- 1 pound (#4) phyllo, thawed and at room temp.
The Cheese filling:
- 8oz (350g) feta cheese
- 8oz (200g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz (230g) cream cheese at room temp.
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed oregano
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper and set aside.
Make the Cheese Filling:
Combine all of the filling ingredients together in a bowl and mix until incorporated.
Assemble the Rolls:
Take one sheet of phyllo, drizzle some melted butter over top. Fold it in half lengthwise. Place a tablespoon of the cheese filling at the bottom of the pastry, keeping it centered.
Fold over both sides (right and left long sides) of the phyllo over the filling.
Drizzle with some more melted butter.
Roll the pastry all the way up. Place on the prepared baking tray.
Keep doing this until all of the phyllo and/or cheese filling are finished.
Brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter and pierce using a fork so that the steam escapes during baking.
Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven until golden and crisp. 35-40 minutes.
Freezer Instructions: Assemble the pastries and chill in the freezer until firm. Either transfer the frozen rolls to a freezer-safe bag or wrap the tray in plastic wrap and keep frozen up to 3 months. Bake frozen at 350 °F until golden and crisp.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Philips Kitchen Appliances Digital Twin TurboStar Airfryer XXL, with Fat Removal Technology, 3 Lbs, Black, HD9650/96
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets, 12x16 Inches Non-Stick Precut Baking Parchment, Perfect for Baking Grilling Air Fryer Steaming Bread Cup Cake Cookie and More (Unbleached)
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet, 2-Pack, Silver
Leave a Reply