Fish plaki is a traditional Greek dish that is usually made using white fish. making this classic dish with salmon is so comforting and delicious. The dish is ready in under an hour and pairs perfectly with toasted bread, lots of lemons, and a Greek Salad. Make some for the special people in your life.
Ingredients and Options:
This is a recipe that uses very simple ingredients and that’s why I love it. Most of the ingredients you probably already have at home. Salmon is most likely the only thing that will need to be purchased. I prefer buying salmon filets. However when purchasing fish for a larger crowd it is sometimes more cost effective to buy a large salmon filet and then cut it into portions yourself. It takes a few minutes with a very sharp knife.
Here’s a list of everything that you will need to make the Baked Salmon at home:
- 6 salmon pieces: I prefer filets but you can use salmon steaks. Keep in mind that the steaks will contain more bones and are not ideal when serving younger children.
- a large onion
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes: substitute crushed tomatoes or grate your own fresh tomatoes with a box grater
- pitted kalamata olives: substitute capers
- add some thinly sliced bell peppers to the sauce for more flavor
Watch the Video
I hope that you give this recipe a try. If you do, let me know how it turned out in the comments section. I read them all!! Also tell me if you made it different. I’d love to know 🙂
- about 2 and 1/2 pounds salmon fillets
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 8-10 pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed oregano
For the Tomato & Onion Sauce:
- 1 large onion cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 28 ounces diced or crushed tomatoes
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2-1 teaspoon granulated sugar or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
Make the Sauce:
Combine the onion and olive oil in a saucepan and sprinkle them with a pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat until the onions are soft and golden. About 8-10 minutes.
Add the garlic and warm through a few seconds. Add the diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Transfer half of sauce into a 9 by 13-inch baking pan.
Season both sides of the salmon with salt and pepper.
Place the fish over the sauce and top with the remaining sauce. Add the olives to the baking pan.
Bake on the center rack for about 25 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.
Remove from the oven and garnish with parsley and dried oregano.
Serve with lemon wedges and toasted bread.
Enjoy and Kali Orexi!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
John Boos Block B12S Maple Wood Edge Grain Cutting Board with Feet, 12 Inches Square, 1.5 Inches Thick
Terra Creta | Certified PDO Extra Virgin Olive Oil 3Ltr | Award Winning | Single Origin & Single Estate Kolymvari | 100% Pure Greek Olive Oil | Cold Extracted | Certified Kosher
Staub Ceramics Rectangular Baking Dish Set, 2-Piece, Rustic Turquoise