YOUVARLAKIA AVGOLEMONO: GREEK MEATBALL SOUP
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the soup:
- 6 cups water or chicken stock plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, juice of 2 lemons (approx.)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.
- Roll the meatballs out into golf ball sized balls and place in a large dish.
- Bring the water with 1 teaspoon of salt to a boil and then carefully drop the meatballs into the pot one by one.
- Cover the pot and let them simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the pot and place in a clean dish.
- Add one more cup of water to the stock in the pot.
- Whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice, cornstarch, dill and olive oil until combined and frothy.
- Ladle one cup of the hot stock into the egg-lemon mixture and whisk. Add another ladle of hot liquid and whisk well. This will prevent the egg from scrambling and will create a creamy sauce for the soup.
- Add egg-lemon mixture back to the soup and allow to simmer a few minutes. The soup will thicken.
- Taste it for seasoning and add more salt if needed.
- Place the meatballs back in the soup and simmer a few minutes.
- Serve with some crusty bread.
Leave a Reply