- 2 pounds Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped the same size as potatoes
- 6-8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6-7 cups water or chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- freshly grated parmesan or kefalotiri cheese for garnish
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Combine the potatoes, onion and garlic on a sheet pan.
Add olive oil and season lightly with salt and black pepper.
Toss the vegetables to distribute the seasoning evenly.
Roast 30-40 minutes. Halfway through roasting, flip the vegetables over to allow for even cooking. They will be ready once they are very tender and golden.
Add the roasted vegetables to a blender in a few batches and puree with water or chicken stock until smooth. I like to keep half of the mixture smooth and the other half chunky for some texture.
Add the puree to a heavy bottomed pot and season with more salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, cumin powder and oregano.
Bring to a boil while stirring so that it does not burn and add the cream.
If the soup is too thick add some more water or stock.
Serve with some parmesan cheese as garnish and some crusty bread.