- Makes 12-14:
- The Dry Ingredients:
- 2 and 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- The Wet Ingredients:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups plain yogurt, or 3/4 cup Greek yogurt with 3/4 cup milk)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen will do
- zest of an orange or a lemon
- cinnamon sugar topping: 3 tablespoons sugar plus 1 tablespoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, 204 degrees Celsius.
Combine all of the dry ingredients except for the citrus zest together and pass through a sifter. Add the zest and set aside.
Beat together the sugar, oil, and egg until combined.
Add the yogurt and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
Add the flour mixture in 3 batches and mix just until incorporated.
Carefully fold in the blueberries with a spatula.
Line a muffin tray with paper liners and scoop the batter in each cup 3/4 of the way full.
Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over each muffin.
Bake in the center rack of your oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick that is inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean or with dry crumbs.
Serve with a nice hot cup of tea.