A simple shawarma sauce that is creamy and delicious. This sauce is great in sandwiches, over salads, and perfect for dipping veggies.
If you love shawarmas then you have tasted this creamy, garlicky, sauce. Most of the time the sauce that is used in shops is made with mostly mayo and tends to leave me with a heavy feeling afterwards. Using yogurt as a base and adding just the right amount of mayo with some fresh lemon juice creates the most delicious shawarma sauce that you will ever taste.
Ingredients for Shawarma Sauce
- plain yogurt (feel free to use Greek yogurt instead)
- lemon juice
- fresh garlic
Optional: tahini, mint, sumac
What to serve the sauce with
This sauce goes well with everything. Once you make it you will use it in many ways. Here are a few:
- use it as a spread in sandwiches
- use it as a dip for veggies, pita chips, or fries
- use it as a burger sauce
- use it as a salad dressing
- serve it with Lebanese cauliflower
How long does Shawarma Sauce last in the refrigerator?
Store the shawarma sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. I will honestly say that it has never lasted more than a few days in my home but, there are 7 of us so, do let me know if yours makes it to day 14. 😆
This sauce is perfect as is but, you can switch it up to create many new flavor combinations. Here are a few ideas. Feel free to share your favorites with me in the comments section.
- Add some sriracha to spice up the sauce
- add some harissa for a warm and smoky twist
- add some finely chopped fresh mint or dill for more freshness
- substitute some of the yogurt with sour cream for richness
- add some sumac for color and a tangy kick
- add some tahini paste for richness
Qualifying purchases made using my affiliate links help support my work without costing you anything extra. Thank you very much!
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, grated
Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until smooth. Taste and add some salt and pepper if desired.
Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.