A light moist nutty-flavored vegan cake with just the right amount of sweetness!
Watch the Video:
If you’re looking for a delicious, moist, and not too sweet cake, you need to try my vegan tahini cake with coconut and chocolate chunks. It’s easy to make and comes together in one big bowl. There are a couple of ingredients that you can adjust to make it your own, like chocolate and tahini. I prefer to use semi-sweet chocolate to give just a bit of sweetness, but milk or dark would be delicious too. Also, if you don’t care for the flavor of tahini, any nut or seed butter would work. Make it your own, and let me know how you make it!
Why you’ll love this dessert
- Nutty tahini
- Sweet tender coconut
- Bittersweet chocolate chunks
- A moist cake that combines all the delicious flavors of tahini, coconut, chocolate, and almonds!
What you’ll need
The Dry Ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder –keeps the cake light
- Ground cinnamon
- Shredded sweetened coconut
- Semi-sweet chocolate –dark or your favorite chocolate would be delicious
The Wet Ingredients:
- Tahini –Soom is my favorite brand. Substitute any nut or seed butter if you like
- Granulated sugar
- Light olive oil or coconut oil –
- Unsweetened coconut milk –you can use almond milk or your favorite milk
- flax egg: 1 tablespoon flax meal plus three tablespoons of water
- Baking soda
- Pure vanilla extract
- Pure almond extract –almond and coconut go so well together
Before dumping the last half cup of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, toss the chocolate pieces in it. The dry flour coating helps them keep their place in the batter while baking and not sink to the bottom of the cake. It works!
If you aren’t familiar with tahini, it’s a sesame seed paste. It has the same consistency as a nut or seed butter, so you can substitute it if you prefer. If you use low-quality tahini, it may taste bitter. So, stick to quality brands. I stick to using the Soom brand tahini or Whole Foods 365. Both tahinis are excellent!
How to make Vegan Tahini Cake with Coconut & Chocolate Chunks
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- Grease a 9 x 13-inch (23 by 33 cm) baking pan with olive oil or baking spray.
- Combine all dry ingredients except the chocolate and coconut in a large bowl and whisk them together.
- Whisk all of the wet ingredients together in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in a few batches.
- Reserve 1/4 of the dry ingredients and toss them together with the chocolate and coconut.
- Add the dry mixture to the batter and fold in with a spatula.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely, then top with shredded coconut or confectioner’s sugar.
I love for the center of my cake to be a little fudgy, almost like a brownie. If you’d like to try it that way, pull your cake from the oven when you think it needs just a few more minutes to be completely done. The heat from being in the oven will cook your cake just a little more and be a little fudgy once it completely cools. Because this cake isn’t overly sweet, it goes perfectly with a hot cup of Greek coffee or a cold glass of milk. Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature or the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Kali Orexi!
More Vegan Dessert Recipes:
- Tahini Cookies
- Greek Walnut Cake
- Moustokouloura: Greek Vegan Grape Molasses Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate & Pistachio Biscotti: Greek Paximadia
- Orange & Almond Olive Oil Biscotti: Greek Vegan Paximadia
The Dry Ingredients:
- 3 cups (400g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 oz (150g) shredded sweetened coconut
- 6 oz (170g) semi-sweet chocolate
The Wet Ingredients:
- 1 cup (240g) tahini
- 1 and 1/2 cups (315g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) light olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 and 1/2 cup (330 ml) unsweetened coconut milk
- flax egg: 1 tablespoon flax meal plus 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pure almond extract
Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
Grease a 9 by 13-inch (23 by 33 cm) baking pan with olive oil or baking spray.
Combine all of the dry ingredients except for the chocolate and coconut in a large bowl ad whisk them together.
Combine all of the wet ingredients ina. large bowl and whisk them together until smooth.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet in a few batches. Reserve 1/4 of the dry ingredients and toss them together with the chocolate and coconut. Add them to the batter and fold in with a spatula.
Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan.
Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick that is inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cool completely. Top with shredded coconut or with confectioner's sugar and serve with coffee. Kali Orexi!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
Callebaut Belgian Dark Couverture Chocolate Semisweet Callets, 54.5% - 5.5 Lbs
365 by Whole Foods Market, Tahini Organic, 16 Ounce
Soom Foods Single-Source Pure Ground Organic Sesame Tahini Paste 16oz (2 Pack) | Silky Smooth Texture in Hummus, Dips, Salad Dressings | Vegan, Nut-Free, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Keto, Paleo, Plant Based, Kosher, Organic