Homemade breakfast rolls that are better than bagels!
Watch the Video:
These delicious Greek cinnamon raisin bread rolls, known as stafidopsoma, are hearty breakfast rolls similar to bagels. I think they’re even better than bagels because they’re softer, more tender, and can still be slathered with butter or cream cheese. They are easy to make with basic and inexpensive ingredients and good for breakfast or brunch. You can double the recipe to have a batch for the freezer because they freeze well, and you can keep them on hand for up to a month… but they won’t last that long. Homemade bread tastes so much better than store-bought, and it’s so fresh and delicious.
Why everyone will love these
Light, tender bread
Warm cinnamon spice
Chewy plump raisins
The perfect homemade cinnamon raisin bread rolls for any breakfast or brunch!
- Lukewarm milk
- Granulated sugar
- Active dry yeast
- Unsalted butter -soft or melted
- Pure vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground cloves
- Raisins -sub cranberries, chopped dates, or your favorite dried fruit
- Egg wash: 1 egg yolk plus 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Sugar for topping
Vegan raisin bread rolls
It’s pretty easy to make vegan or dairy-free stafidopsoma. All you need to do is make a few swaps. Instead of milk, use water or coconut milk. Instead of butter, use light olive oil or coconut oil. And swap out the egg wash for an egg wash substitute, like plant-based milk, olive oil, maple syrup, or even aquafaba.
Activating the yeast
Rarely do I end up with inactive yeast, but it can happen. So, always check your yeast. Mix the lukewarm water, yeast, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Set it aside for about 8-10 minutes. At the end of the time, you should see a puffy, bubbly cloud on top of the liquid. That means your yeast is active, and you’re ready to make your bread dough!
How to make Stafidopsoma Cinnamon Raisin Bread Rolls
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Add all the wet ingredients and a quarter cup of the flour mixture in the bowl of a tabletop mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment.
- Whisk together and set aside for 8 minutes until the yeast is activated.
- Once a puffy cloud forms on top of the mixture, the yeast is active.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer and knead for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a mixing bowl that has been greased with olive oil.
- Toss to coat and cover the bowl.
- Set it in the warmest part of your home until the dough doubles in volume.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- Transfer the dough to your work surface and divide it into 10 equal pieces.
- Roll each portion of dough into a ball.
- Line 1-2 baking trays with parchment paper and place the prepared rolls onto the trays.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and set aside until they almost double in size.
- Combine the eggwash ingredients in a small bowl and whisk them together until smooth.
- Brush the egg wash over the rolls and sprinkle the tops with granulated sugar.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Allow the rolls to sit for 10-15 minutes.
Your home will smell incredible while these are baking, and it will be difficult to wait for them to cool. My favorite way to eat these is with plain salted butter, but any butter will do. You can flavor butter with jam, preserves, or honey. Any flavored cream cheese would be good, too, but it is a bit heavier for the light rolls. However you eat them, don’t forget the coffee. It’s the perfect breakfast combination! If you have any leftovers, freeze them to have an easy and delicious breakfast on hand. Kali Orexi!
Once the rolls are baked and have come to room temperature, transfer them into freezer-safe bags and store them in the freezer for up to a month. Thaw them at room temperature when ready to serve, and warm them in the oven for a few minutes before serving.
- Koulouria Thessaloniki’s: Greek Bread Rings
- Lagana Bread: Greek Flatbread Filled with Olives, Sun-dried Tomatoes & Herbs
- Greek Buns Filled with Cheese
- Easy Homemade Crusty Baguette Recipe for Beginners!
- Loaded Olive & Halloumi Bread
- Horiatiko Psomi: Greek Country (Village) Bread
The Wet Ingredients:
- 1 cup (250ml) lukewarm milk
- 1/2 cup (115g) granulated sugar
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 oz (60g) unsalted butter, soft or melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
The Dry Ingredients:
- 3 and 1/2 cups (500g) all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 heaping cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Egg wash: 1 egg yolk plus 2-3 tablespoons milk
- sugar for topping
Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and shisk together.
In the bowl of a tabletop mixer that has been fitted with the dough hook attachment, add all of the wet ingredients alomg with a quarter cup of the flour mixture. Whisk together and set aside for 8 minutes until the yeast is activated. Once a puffy cloud forms on top of the mixture the yeast is active.
Add the dry ingredients to the mixer and knead for 10 minutes.
Transfer the dough to a mixing bowl that has been greased with olive oil. Toss to coat and cover the bowl. Set it in the warmest part of your home until the dough doubles in volume.
Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
Transfer the dough to your work surface and divide it into 10 equal pieces. Roll each portion of dough into a ball.
Line 1-2 baking trays with parchement paper and place the prepared rolls onto the trays. Cover loosely with plastic wrap or with a kitchen towel. Set aside until they rise until almost doubled in size.
Combine the egg wash ingredients in a small bowl and whisk them together until smooth. Brush the egg was over the rolls and sprinkle the tops with granulated sugar.
Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until golden.
Allow the rolls to sit for 10-15 minutes and serve with butter or cream cheese. Kali Orexi!
Yeast rarely goes bad but if it does, the dough will not rise. The yeast is fresh if a puffy cloud forms on top once the wet ingredients are combined in the mixer's bowl.
Freezer Instructions: Once the rolls are baked and have come to room temperature, transfer them into freezer-safe bags and store in the freezer for up to a month. Thaw them at room temperature when ready to serve. Warm them in the oven for a few minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Half Sheet, 2-Pack, Silver
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
Turkish Coffee Pot, Warmer milk, Ibrik Cezve Arabic Briki Coffee Pot, Stainless Steel, 15 Ounce, Espresso Coffee Decanter
Loumidis Greek Ground Coffee Papagalos Traditional 2 Pack (16 Ounces)
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
COSORI ProII Air Fryer Oven Combo, 5.8QT Max Xl Large Cooker with 12 One-Touch Saveable Custom Functions, Cookbook and Oneline Recipes, Nonstick and Dishwasher-Safe Detachable Square Basket
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue