SPANAKOPITA SUNFLOWER: SPINACH PIE IN A PUFF PASTRY SUNFLOWER
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 10 ounces baby spinach, chopped
- 3/4 cup full fat ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 scallions, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, 204 degrees Celsius.
- Begin by preparing the spinach filling. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, feta, ricotta cheese, dill, salt, pepper, and scallions. Mix well until the spinach is completely coated with the cheeses and all of the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Taste and check for seasoning. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Mix in the egg and set the spinach mixture aside.
- Roll out each puff pastry sheet large enough so that an 11 inch circle can be cut out of the center. I like to use either a large bowl or a dinner plate.
- Save the scraps for another recipe. They stay fresh in the freezer for 2 weeks if wrapped tightly with plastic.
- Place one circle on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs all over the puff pastry. These will absorb any excess liquid that is released during baking.
- Place 2 scoops of the spinach filling in the center of the circle.
- Create a ring with the remaining spinach filling leaving about 1/2 inch border all around the puff pastry.
- Do not allow the ring to connect with the filling in the center.
- Place the other puff pastry circle on top and seal the edges by pressing down with the tines of a fork.
- Place a small bowl (around 5- 6 inches in diameter) over the center filling and press down to create an indentation. Leave the bowl there.
- Cut 4 slits all around the pastry. If looking at it as a clock, one slit would be at the 12:00 position, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00.
- Cut 4-5 more slits in each quadrant.
- Remove the bowl. Pierce the center with the tines of a fork a few times so that the steam releases during baking.
- Twist each outer section (the slices) so that the filling side faces up. Take care to not separate the slices from the center.
- Brush the pastry with egg wash.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over center and bake 30-40 minutes or until the pastry is puffy and golden all around.
- Serve with tzaztiki sauce.
Leave a Reply