SLOW ROASTED STUFFED LEG OF LAMB
- 1 (5 pound) boneless leg of lamb
- 3 pounds potatoes, quartered
For the stuffing:
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 8 ounces spinach leaves, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 4-5 ounces feta cheese
- ¼ cup pine nuts
For the marinade:
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Place the lamb on a baking tray and open it up. Cut some slits through the thick parts of the meat.
- Pour the marinade over the lamb and season both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside while the stuffing is made or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 12 hours.
- Place a large pan over medium heat and toast the pine nuts until fragrant. About 5-7 minutes.
- Put the toasted pine nuts into a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the olive oil and scallions into the pan and cook until soft over medium heat. About 5 minutes. Add the grated garlic and heat through for a few seconds. Take care not to burn it.
- Add the chopped spinach to the pan and cook until it wilts.
- Place the spinach and scallion mixture into the mixing bowl and crumble the feta cheese into it. Fold in the mint and season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the spinach stuffing over the lamb filling all of the cuts.
- Roll up the lamb and tie with kitchen twine at one-inch intervals.
- Place the quartered potatoes in a baking pan and pour about ¼ cup lemon juice over them. Season them with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Place the stuffed lamb in the center of the baking pan between the potatoes.
- Pour the leftover marinade over the lamb and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with parchment paper then with aluminum foil.
- Bake covered for 2 hours.
- Remove pan from oven and uncover.
- Raise the temperature to 425 °F and roast for about 30 minutes more or until golden.
- Tip: Use an oven safe meat thermometer to cook the lamb to your liking. This recipe will produce a well-done lamb. Follow the temperature gage to cook to your liking.
- Allow the meat to rest at least 15 minutes. Cut the twine and discard.
- Slice and serve with a yogurt cucumber salad.
- Cucumber Salad:
- 1 large English cucumber, chopped
- 2 cups yogurt
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a bowl and mix well. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Pin For Your Pinterest!
Leave a Reply