- Oil for frying
For the dough:
- 3 and ½ -4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 and ½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 2 pounds baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 5 scallions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- feta cheese, crumbled
- To make the dough, combine all of the dough ingredients in the bowl of a table top mixer fitted with the hook attachment. Knead for 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth. Add a little more flour if the dough is too sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest at room temperature for an hour.
- Note:This dough can be kneaded by hand as well. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and knead 5-7 minutes or until a smooth ball of dough is formed adding a little flour if the dough is too sticky.
- To make the spinach filling,combine the chopped scallions and olive oil in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes until soft. Add the chopped spinach, parsley, dill, and mint. Season with salt and pepper and cook over medium high heat until the spinach wilts. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Set aside to cool completely and crumble some feta and mix it in if desired.
- Cut the dough into 8 portions. Roll each portion to 1/8-inch-thick rectangle on a lightly floured surface. This can also be achieved by using a pasta roller attachment. Using a 4- inch round cookie cutter, cut out rounds of dough and set aside.
- Place a tablespoon of filling onto each round and fold over to seal. Press the edges together with a fork to seal. Place on a baking tray lined with a kitchen towel that has been lightly floured so that the pies don’t stick.
- Pierce 2-3 holes on the top layer of dough so that steam releases while frying to prevent them from bursting open.
- Fry the Kalitsounia 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Set on a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess oil. Serve immediately.
- Uncooked pies can be stored in the freezer up to a month.