ROASTED PEPPERS STUFFED WITH FETA
- 6 Anaheim peppers, seeded and tops cut off
- 4-6 mini peppers, seeded and tops cut off
- 8 ounces (228 grams) feta cheese (Dodonis brand cheese is excellent if you can find it)
- 2 tablespoons plain, whole milk yogurt
- 1 scallion, finely sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt for exterior of peppers
- 6 small bread cubes
- A flavorful appetizer (meze) anytime of the year but, especially delicious during the summertime.
- Preheat the oven to 475 °F, 246 °C.
- Carefully remove the seeds from the peppers and rinse and dry them. Save the tops of the peppers.
- Place the feta cheese in a bowl and mash it using a fork. Add the yogurt and mozzarella cheese and mix well to combine. Season with black pepper and add the scallions. Mix well until incorporated.
- Place the cheese filling in a pastry bag. You can also use a spoon to fill the peppers, but if you have a bag use it as it will make this step much easier.
- Fill each pepper almost to the top leaving some room for the bread cube. The bread cube will help prevent the cheese filling from escaping during roasting. Some filling will still come out. Don’t worry! It can be scooped back in after it cools slightly.
- Place the stuffed peppers on a baking tray and brush them all around with olive oil. Season with salt and bake for 15 minutes or until soft and slightly charred.
- Allow to cool slightly. Gather any filling that may have oozed out during baking and put it back in the peppers.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Leave a Reply