Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
Individually wrap each beet with aluminum foil and place on a baking tray.
Place the garlic cloves with the tablespoon of olive oil in a small piece of foil and wrap. Place on the same baking tray.
Roast the beets and garlic for 45 minutes till one hour depending on their size. They will be ready when they are tender. Check with a knife by cutting through the center of a beet.
Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
In the meantime prepare the salad dressing by combining the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt and pepper. Whisk to emulsify. Mash the roasted garlic up and whisk into the dressing.
Place the lettuces in a large bowl and pour half of the salad dressing over them. Mix well.
Peel the beets while they are still warm and slice into 6 wedges each. Place them in a large bowl and pour the remaining salad dressing over them. Sprinkle some more salt and pepper on top and mix well. The warm beets will absorb the flavors of the dressing 🙂
Put the lettuce in a serving bowl and arrange the beets over it. Crumble feta cheese in between the spaces and top with the toasted walnuts.
This salad tastes best served warm.
- 6 small- medium sized beets, scrubbed clean and tops removed
- 3 cloves garlic plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup roasted and coarsely chopped walnuts
- 4 ounces really good feta cheese
- 3 cups baby arugula leaves
- 2 cups mixed baby lettuce leaves