PUMPKIN ROULADE (CAKE ROLL)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup canned pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 cup finely ground walnuts or pecans
For the filling:
- zest of half orange
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. (190 degrees Celsius)
- Grease a half sheet baking tray (16 1/2 x 11 1/2 inches) and line with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, salt and nutmeg. Add the orange zest to the flour mixture.
- Beat the eggs on high speed with the whisk attachment for 5 minutes, until thick and pale in color.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the pumpkin puree and orange juice and whisk in until combined.
- Add the sifted flour in small batches and whisk in until combined.
- Spread the batter evenly onto your prepared sheet pan.
- Sprinkle the chopped walnuts evenly on top of the batter.
- Bake for 12 minutes in the middle rack of your oven. The cake is ready when it springs back when touched.
- Run a knife all around the sides of the pan to release the cake and immediately turn it out onto a large, clean kitchen towel sprinkled with confectioner's sugar.
- Remove the parchment paper and roll the cake with the towel into a spiral. Roll it from the long side of the cake to create a longer cake roll. You may roll from the short side too if you prefer.
- Allow the cake to cool on a rack while you prepare the frosting.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter with the paddle attachment of your mixer until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, orange zest, and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated, smooth and fluffy.
- Carefully unroll the cake. Spread the filling evenly over the cake. Roll the cake back up the same way.
- Place it on a serving platter and dust with confectioner's sugar and cinnamon.
- Serve with a steaming hot cup of tea!
Leave a Reply