PESTO & TOMATO TART
- 1 (8-9 oz) frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed according to package directions
- ½-1 cup pesto
- cherry or grape tomatoes, about 12
- 6 ounces feta cheese, diced or crumbled
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- dried oregano
- 1/4 -1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, optional, for garnish
- Summer is in full swing and my garden is over flowing with basil and tomatoes. Here's a delicious recipe that takes minutes to put together and is full of delicious flavor.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface about 1 inch on each side to form a long rectangle or a square.
- Place the pastry on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- With a sharp knife, score a line inside the border of the puff pastry 1/2 inch from the edge. Do not cut all the way down to the bottom.
- Prick the inside rectangle of the pastry with a fork all around. This will prevent this part of the tart from puffing up too much while baking and will allow the border to create a nice puffy crust.
- Spread the pesto keeping it off of the borders.
- Slice the tomatoes and place in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with a little olive oil, season lightly with salt, pepper and oregano. Mix well to coat.
- Arrange the marinated tomato slices over the pesto.
- Fill in the spaces with the diced feta cheese.
- Brush the edges of the puff pastry with the remaining oil and seasonings from the tomatoes.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the crust in puffy.
- Sprinkle some toasted pine nuts on top if you like. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply