MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE LAYERS
Yield: three 8-inch cake layers
The dry ingredients:
- 2 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
The wet ingredients:
- 3 ounces semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cups prepared hot coffee
- 3/4 cup olive oil (or any flavorless vegetable oil)
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk or heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit, 160 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare three 8 inch round baking pans by brushing them with oil and lining the bottom with parchment paper.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a large mixing bowl and pour the hot coffee over it. Whisk until melted and incorporated.
- Add the olive oil, yogurt, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract. Whisk well to combine.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and either whisk them together or sift.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until pale and thick.
- Add the chocolate, oil mixture to the eggs and beat until combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture in a few batches, mixing until just incorporated.
- Finish it off with a spatula to prevent over mixing. This will ensure a light and moist cake. Mixing the flour too much will create a bread like cake that will be tough.
- Distribute the batter evenly into the three prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out with some moist crumbs. Be careful to not overbake. The cakes will continue to cook a bit more while cooling.
- Set the cakes aside to cool completely in their pans.
- Run a knife or spatula around the cake to release them from the pan.
- Double wrap them in plastic wrap and store in the freezer up to a month.
Leave a Reply