These Mediterranean Stuffed Bottoms are loaded with bright and fresh flavors and ready in under an hour. Perfect for a light vegetarian lunch or for an elegant side for your dinner party.
Where are Artichoke Bottoms sold?
They are sold in the freezer section of your local Mediterranean/Middle Eastern specialty food market. Some supermarkets carry them and if you’re lucky enough to find them, buy a few bags and keep them handy. Of course, fresh artichokes can also be used but, not only is it very time consuming to remove the leaves and peel away at them, but they are very expensive. So, go with the frozen variety.
Fresh Uncooked Artichokes
How to Make Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms:
This entire recipe is ready in under an hour. Perfect for a quick meal served with some toasted bread to soak up the lemony sauce and very nice as a side for lamb dishes. Lamb and artichokes pair so well together. These artichokes are delicious with chicken and fish as well. So, go ahead and serve them at your next dinner party.
- Begin by placing the artichoke bottoms in some salted boiling water with the juice of half of a lemon. Boil them until fork tender. This usually takes around 7-8 minutes. Drain them and set aside on a plate while the filling is made.
- The filling is super simple to make and delicious on its own. Cook the roughly chopped onion in some olive oil until soft and golden. Then add garlic and warm through. Add the spinach and cook it until it wilts down and the liquid evaporates. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the diced roasted bell pepper, crumbled feta cheese, and the Kalamata olives. Taste and season with some salt and black pepper. That’s it! The filling is ready. This tastes great as a side to some chicken or even as a salad. Add some quinoa, couscous, or orechietti pasta to create the most delicious salad.
- Make the Sauce: Melt the butter in the skillet and add 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Cook it over medium heat until toasted. Add vegetable stock or chicken broth and whisk together until smooth. Cook the sauce until it is slightly thickened and then remove it from the heat. Add the lemon juice, capers, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk it together and set aside.
- Assemble the dish: Stuff the artichoke bottoms with the filling and place them in the sauce. Any leftover filling can be saved for another recipe or, enjoyed as a snack. Place the skillet in a preheated 425 °F oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. Serve with toasted bread and enjoy!
I hope that you give this recipe a try and you enjoy it. If you do, comment down below and let me know what you think. I also love to see your recreations on Facebook & Instagram. They brighten up my day! Kali Orexi and I’ll be back soon with another delicious recipe for you to share with your loved ones.
Here are some of my favorite Kitchen Essentials. Purchases made from these affiliate links help support my work without costing you anything extra. Thank you!
- For the Filling:
- • 1 small onion, finely chopped
- • 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- • 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- • 8 ounces (226 g) spinach, roughly chopped
- • 3 oz feta cheese
- • 12 kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- • 1 roasted red bell pepper, diced
- • Salt and black pepper, to taste
- For the Sauce:
- • 1-2 tablespoons butter
- • 1.5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- • Salt and pepper, to taste
- • 2 cups chicken/vegetable broth
- • 1 teaspoon capers
- • 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 425 °F, 220 °C.
Place the artichokes into lightly salted boiling water and squeeze the juice of half of a lemon into the water. Boil for 8-10 minutes or until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
Make the filling:
In an oven-proof skillet, cook the onion and oil over medium heat until soft and golden. About 7-8 minutes.
Add the garlic and warm through for a few seconds.
Add the spinach and cook until wilted and most of the liquid has evaporated.
Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the mixture to a bowl and crumble the feta cheese into the spinach mixture.
Add the olives and bell pepper. Toss to combine and set aside.
Make the sauce:
Melt butter in the same skillet and add the flour. Whisk together and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or until toasted.
Add the chicken broth and whisk together until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil and whisk together. Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice and capers. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Stuff the artichoke hearts with generous amounts of the filling and place them into the skillet in the sauce.
Place the skillet into the oven and bake for 20 minutes, uncovered.
Serve with lemon wedges and enjoy!