- 1 and 1/2 cups homemade ricotta
- fresh figs, halved
- 1/2 cup or more toasted hazelnuts
- 1 cup Greek Honey, or local honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cinnamon for dusting
- Orange or lemon zest is lovely in this also (optional)
- Here's a simple, elegant dessert that can be a healthy breakfast too!! All of the ingredients are in the title so it's a really silly recipe for me to post......
- We were in Greece last summer and we ate lots of honey. Everyday!! My favorite honey comes from my island, Crete. It has notes of thyme and oregano. My uncle Dimitri has many bee hives and would bring me fresh honey before the previous batch ran out. I love him!!! Did I mention that there's a big, beautiful walnut tree right in the front of the home we were staying in (my dad's childhood home).
- So one morning, my uncle Dimitri came by with some of his delicious honey and he literally climbed the walnut tree, shook it and down came a bunch of walnuts. He and the children cracked them open in very creative ways. He taught the children that the best way to crack a walnut is by placing it under a wooden chair and then pressing down on it... We had a blast. Then he put some walnuts in a plate, poured a lot of honey over them, mixed it all up and gave it to me and my husband. I was eating my morning Greek yogurt, by the way..... Oh man!!! That was so dang delicious!!! We could not believe how 2 simple ingredients tasted so divine!!
- When I thought of this recipe, I had my uncle Dimitri in mind. I always have walnuts either in my freezer or in my pantry, but not today!!! I had hazelnuts instead. Not so bad....
- The ricotta tastes best at room temperature. It's perfect if you have time to make a very fresh batch, otherwise just allow it to come to room temperature. Combine the ricotta with the vanilla extract and mix well. Place in the center of a serving bowl.
- Combine the nuts with the honey and mix.
- Arrange the figs around the ricotta cheese.
- Spoon the nut and honey mixture over the ricotta and drizzle some more honey over the figs.
- Dust with cinnamon.
- Garnish with lemon or orange zest for added flavor.
- Enjoy 🙂