- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 and 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons either white vinegar or freshly squeezed lemon juice
- It's no secret. I love cheese!! Good cheese makes meals complete. That goes for both savory and sweet dishes. In Greece, hard cheese like kefalograviera (similar to parmesan) is served after meals with Greek honey. It's delicious!!
- If you've never tasted homemade ricotta, you're seriously missing out, Trust me! It's creamy, rich and oh so yummy! A billion times better than the store bought variety that's grainy and blah....
- It requires just 4 ingredients. That's all!
- Bring the milk, cream and salt to a boil. Turn off heat and add vinegar or lemon juice. give it a nice stir and let it sit for a couple of minutes until it curdles.
- Line a sieve or strainer/colander with cheese cloth and place it over a larger bowl that can hold it.
- Pour the curdled milk into the strainer and allow to drain for about one hour. The longer it strains, the thicker it will become. It will firm up as it cools in the refrigerator.
- Put the strained ricotta in a container and refrigerate or use immediately.
- You may save the whey or discard it.
- The fresh ricotta will keep in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
- Use it in many different ways:
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt. pepper and oregano. Serve with toasted bread.
- Drizzle with delicious honey, sprinkle some toasted nuts and a dash of cinnamon for a nice snack.