- Serves 8:
- 2 and ½ Russet (baking) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 egg yolks at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- Zest and juice of a lemon
- Optional: white pepper, to taste, grated cheese such as Gruyere, Parmesan, Swiss, or Cheddar
Preheat oven to 425 °F, 220 °C.
Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until very soft.
Drain the potatoes and either pass them through a food mill, a ricer, or mash them until smooth.
Add melted butter, sour cream, and salt, lemon zest, and juice. Taste it and adjust the seasoning. Mix in the egg yolks and thyme.
Transfer the mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip or use a spoon and a fork.
Pipe mounds onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Make ahead tips:Pipe portions onto a baking sheet and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake that same day or transfer to the freezer until firm. Store in freezer bags up to 3 days.