GREEK STYLE CHICKEN PICCATA AVGOLEMONO
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- about 4 tablespoons all purpose flour for dredging
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon capers, rinsed
- 5-6 Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Butterfly the chicken and slice each breast in 2 pieces each.
- Pound each piece with a kitchen mallet to 1/4 inch in thickness.
- Season the chicken cutlets with salt, pepper, cumin powder, oregano, and then dredge in flour. Do this on both sides of the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a pan until it is sizzling hot.
- Pan fry the chicken cutlets without over crowding the pan for 2-3 minutes per side. Cook until chicken is golden brown on both sides. Fry 2 cutlets at a time if there is enough space in the pan.
- Transfer the cooked chicken cutlets to a dish.
- Pan fry the remaining 2 chicken cutlets the same way and transfer to a plate when cooked.
- Add the minced garlic and warm through.
- Pour the chicken stock over the garlic and bring to a boil to deglaze the pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks together with the lemon juice.
- Add the rinsed capers to the pan.
- Take some of the boiling hot broth and add it to the egg yolk mixture to temper it. This is to ensure that the eggs do not scramble later when added to the sauce.
- Pour the egg lemon mixture into the pan and whisk well to incorporate. Boil for about a minute. The sauce will thicken slightly.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken cutlets and garnish with chopped parsley, chopped tomatoes, and sliced olives.
- Serve with your favorite pasta or with some toasted hearty bread.
Leave a Reply