The Greek version of an American-childhood classic. Ready in 30 minutes and loaded with flavor, this dish is a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
- 1-pound ground beef
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2-3 small bell peppers, chopped
- 1 (15 ounces) canned tomatoes, pureed
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 Brioche buns
- Feta cheese
- Olives (optional)
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil along with the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Break the beef up leaving some bigger chunks.
- Add the onions, garlic, bell peppers, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Cook until soft. About 6-8 minutes.
- Add the ketchup and the tomatoes and mix well. Cook over medium-high heat for 6-7 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Set the oven to Broil.
- Place the brioche buns on a baking tray lined with parchment and toast the buns for 1-2 minutes. Keep a close eye on them to prevent them from burning.
- Remove from the oven and set the tops on the side.
- Place the meat sauce on the bottom bun and top with feta cheese.
- Return under the broiler and warm through until the feta softens. About 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle some olives on top and the top bun and serve alongside halloumi fries and tzatziki. Enjoy!