Even though the title states that this is a Fall Cabbage Salad, it can easily be served throughout the winter and then with a few additions, it becomes a fabulous summer salad. I had this for the first time this summer in Crete at a restaurant in the village of Armenous called Drosostalia. It is true, that everything tastes better in Greece, and when I was recipe testing, my hopes were not very high for that very reason. I was pleasantly surprised when this salad turned out just as delicious as I remembered it.
This salad is perfect to serve in the fall and winter months when cucumbers and tomatoes may not be as flavorful as they are in the warmer months. The crunchy cabbage along with the honey Balsamic dressing is perfect. I sometimes throw in some cranberries or chopped dried figs for another layer of flavor. I think you’re going to love this salad and your guests will too! Save this recipe for the Holiday dinner-parties!
- ½ green cabbage head, shredded
- ½ purple cabbage, shredded
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ of a small onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 6 pepperoncini
For the vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl and mix together using your hands or salad tongs.
- Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together until emulsified and pour over the salad. Toss the salad and serve.
- You may add some dried chopped fruit to the salad such as apricots, raisins, cranberries, or figs.