These skillet potatoes are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and ready in less than 30 minutes!
Watch the Video
These easy skillet potatoes make the perfect side dish for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. With just a few ingredients and minimal attention, you can have one of my favorite side dishes. It’s my go-to when guests come over, and I want to serve something nice, hearty, and delicious for breakfast. These potatoes complement eggs so well, but they’re a perfect side for anything –chicken, roast beef, lamb, etc.
Best potatoes for crispy potatoes
Any baking potato or red potato will get perfectly crispy with this recipe, so use what you have on hand. I enjoy using baby potatoes because they are the perfect size, but no matter how big your potatoes are, you can always cut them to the size you like best. Just make sure to boil them whole or only cut large potatoes in half to boil. This will keep them from overcooking when parboiling them and allow them to hold together once cut and added to your skillet.
Why you’ll love this side dish
- Crispy potato outside
- Creamy potato inside
- Buttery, herb potatoes
- Easy side dish in less than 30 minutes!
- Potatoes –mini potatoes or potatoes cut into chunks
- Scallions –thinly sliced and swirled in a bowl of cool water to remove dirt. Scoop them out with your fingers and drain.
- Olive oil or butter
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Dried thyme
- Crushed red pepper flakes –if you’d like a hint of heat
- Fresh rosemary –finely minced
How to make easy skillet potatoes
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover them with cold water.
- Season with a teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil.
- Cook the potatoes until fork-tender, then drain.
- Cut the potatoes in half if they’re small or into cubes if larger.
- Heat the oil or butter in a skillet over medium heat and add the potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook them until golden on all sides.
- Add the scallions and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Then, add the herbs, remove from the heat, and serve.
As I said, these crispy skillet potatoes can be served with eggs, chicken, beef, lamb, or as a vegetarian side. They are so crispy, creamy, and versatile that you may make them more often than you think. I could eat them all by themselves! Try it, and let me know what herbs you like best. Kali Orexi!
- 1 and 1/2 -2 pounds potatoes
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil or butter
- salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water. Season with a teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes until fork tender. Drain and cut the potoates in half if they're small or into cubes.
Heat the oil or butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook them until golden on all sides.
Add the scallions and cook for 2-3 minutes and then add the herbs. Remove from the heat and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
Christmas Cookie Cutters, Mini Cookie Cutter Set Pastry Fondant Stampers for Kids - 4Pcs Spring Biscuits 3D Cutter Plunger Cookie Cutters Mold Cookie Stamps Baking Christmas Tree, Gingerbread man Xmas
Fox Run Intricate Assorted Winter Snowflake Pastry/Cookie/Pie/Fondant 2" Stamper and Cutters 2", Set of 4, Multi-Color
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Assist Handle Holder, 12", Red Silicone