- 1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (my recipe)
- 1/2 cup tasted chopped hazelnuts
- 5 sheets phyllo
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, melted
- For the syrup:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- juice of 1/2 orange
- sliced bananas for serving
- powdered sugar and cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, 191 degrees Celsius.
- Begin by making the syrup.
- Combine all of the syrup ingredients into a small saucepan. Mix well and bring to a boil. Cook just until the sugar is dissolved.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- Cut the phyllo in half and stack covered with a slightly damp towel to prevent it from drying out.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Brush a sheet of phyllo with melted butter. Place a spoonful of chocolate hazelnut spread and top with some chopped hazelnuts.
- Fold the sides of the phyllo pastry over the filling and brush with some melted butter. Roll up and set on the baking pan.
- Continue the same process.
- Brush the tops of all of the rolls with the remaining melted butter.
- Bake in the preheated oven 15-20 minutes or until golden all around.
- As soon as the baklava rolls come out of the oven, pour the syrup over them.
- Let them soak in the syrup for 5 minutes then flip them over.
- If you are not soaking these with syrup just dust them with confectioner's sugar and cocoa powder.
- Serve warm over some banana slices.