- Serves 4-6:
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth, chicken broth, or water
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for chickpeas
Rinse the rice with until the water runs clear. Leave it in a bowl soaking in cold water for 10-15 minutes.
Combine the chopped onion, garlic clove(s), and oil in a pot and cook over medium heat until soft and golden. About 10 minutes. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
Rinse and drain the chickpeas.
Add to the pot and season with salt and some black pepper. Warm through.
Drain the water from the rice and add to the pot along with 2 teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and 2 cups of water. Stir.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pot with the lid. Simmer 15 minutes undisturbed.
Uncover and fluff the rice.