- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth, chicken broth, or water
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more for chickpeas
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for chickpeas
- Rinse the rice with until the water runs clear. Leave it in a bowl soaking in cold water for 10-15 minutes.
- Combine the chopped onion, garlic clove(s), and oil in a pot and cook over medium heat until soft and golden. About 10 minutes. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas.
- Add to the pot and season with salt and some black pepper. Warm through.
- Drain the water from the rice and add to the pot along with 2 teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, and 2 cups of water. Stir.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pot with the lid. Simmer 15 minutes undisturbed.
- Uncover and fluff the rice.