- 6 (#4) phyllo pastry sheets, thawed and at room temperature
- ¼ pound unsalted butter, melted
- Ice cream
For the Nut Filling:
- ½ cup ground nuts (walnuts, almonds, pistachios, or a combination)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Syrup:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or orange blossom water
- Preheat oven to 375 °F, 190 °C.
- Brush a 12-cup muffin tin with melted butter.
- Make the Syrup
- Combine the sugar, water, cinnamon stick, and orange juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and whisk together until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- Make the Filling
- Combine the filling ingredients in a small bowl and mix together.
- Assemble the Baklava Cups
- Brush each phyllo pastry sheet with melted butter and sprinkle some of the nut filling on top. Divide the filling equally (1-2 tablespoons per layer) between the 5 layers. The final (6th) layer will not have any nut filling on top.
- Repeat this process with the remaining phyllo sheets layering them on top of each other.
- Cut the phyllo layers into 12 equal (4- inch) squares.
- Nestle each square into the muffin tin to form phyllo cups. Press the center down.
- Using a toothpick, poke a few holes into the center (bottom) of each phyllo cup.
- Brush each phyllo cup with any remaining melted butter.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven until golden. 10-15 minutes.
- Pour the cooled syrup over the baklava cups immediately once they come out of the oven.
- Allow them to cool.
- Set on a cooling rack so the excess syrup can drip off of them.
- The phyllo cups can be store at room temperature in an airtight container for 1 day.
- Scoop ice cream in the center of the baklava cup. Sprinkle or drizzle your favorite toppings and serve immediately. I love vanilla ice cream topped with sour cherry preserves topped with ground salted pistachios. Get creative and Enjoy!