- 1 pound orzo
- 4 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce can of tomatoes) pureed in blender
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- about 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
This is like my youvetsi recipe minus the meat. It's a yummy side dish that can be prepared in very little time. Give it a try!
Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a Dutch oven pot or saucepan. Add onions and cook over medium-low heat until soft and golden. About 10-15 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft and golden. Add tomato puree, spices, salt and pepper.
Cook for 10 minutes until the sauce gets nice and thick. Add the chicken stock or water and bring to a boil. Pour the sauce in a baking dish and add the uncooked orzo. Bake covered with foil for about 25 minutes. Raise temperature to 400 degrees, remove the foil and cook for another 15 minutes uncovered.
Remove from the oven and add the ice cubes. Mix well. Garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese.