BAKED ORZO: MANESTRA
- 1 pound orzo
- 4 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce can of tomatoes) pureed in blender
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- about 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- This is like my youvetsi recipe minus the meat. It's a yummy side dish that can be prepared in very little time. Give it a try!
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a Dutch oven pot or saucepan. Add onions and cook over medium-low heat until soft and golden. About 10-15 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft and golden. Add tomato puree, spices, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes until the sauce gets nice and thick. Add the chicken stock or water and bring to a boil. Pour the sauce in a baking dish and add the uncooked orzo. Bake covered with foil for about 25 minutes.
- Raise temperature to 400 degrees, remove the foil and cook for another 15 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from the oven and add the ice cubes. Mix well. Garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese.
Leave a Reply