Getting a delicious Greek dinner ready in 60 minutes is easier than you think. This one-pan lemony chicken and potatoes is loaded with flavor and pairs well with the crisp and delicious green bean salad. The creamy tzatziki goes great with everything. This meal will become a family favorite.
One-Pan Lemony Chicken & Potatoes
This classic Greek dish has so much flavor. It’s so easy to make and you can’t go wrong with one-pan meals! It all gets seasoned and cooked together in one pan with very little to clean up at the end.
- Chicken: My favorite cut to use is chicken thighs because they stay juicy. Feel free to use a whole chicken that has been cut up into pieces. If you’re using boneless chicken breast, bake the potatoes first for 30 minutes and then add the chicken to the pan to prevent it from overcooking and drying out. Chicken drumsticks work perfectly in this dish.
- Potatoes: Gold and Russet potatoes are my favorites but you know what I always say, use what you love and/or got!
- The Marinade: This is where all of the flavor comes from. You can marinate the chicken overnight and then add it to the pan with the potatoes for maximum flavor. But, it will be delicious either way. Lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic create a flavor bomb.
- The Spices: lots of dried oregano, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and ground cumin. These are spices that are pantry staples in my kitchen.
Green Bean Salad
This is a great side to serve with any main course. It takes a few minutes to make and is packed with texture and flavors. The figs and balsamic vinaigrette add a nice sweetness. The creamy feta goes well with the crisp green beans and veggies. Use your favorite salad ingredients. Here’s a list of my favorites:
- fresh green beans, also known as string beans
- grape tomatoes
- dried figs
- red onion
- kalamata olives
- feta cheese
- toasted walnuts
- bell pepper
- fresh mint
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
For the Tzatziki
Tzatziki is a creamy sauce that’s made with yogurt and cucumber. It goes great with everything but, especially with chicken. I always make a double batch and we enjoy it all week long. Here’s what you will need to make it:
- Greek yogurt
- Sour cream
- English cucumber
- Grated garlic
- Salt & pepper
Drain the cucumber well so that the sauce stays thick and creamy. Also, placing a clean paper towel on top helps draw out any extra moisture. My mom always stores the tzatziki in the fridge inside an airtight container with a paper towel directly on top of the tzatziki.
How to get the meal ready in 60 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F
- Bake the chicken and potatoes first.
- While they’re baking, make the tzatziki and refrigerate it.
- Make the salad
- Serve everything together with some toasted bread and olives.
- Kali Orexi!
Watch the Video Tutorial
I hope that you give this recipe a try. If you do, share pics with me on Instagram and/or Facebook. I love seeing your recreations!! I’ll be back soon with another delicious recipe worth sharing. Kali Orexi, xxDimitra
- 2 and ½ -3 pounds chicken thighs and drumsticks, bone-in, skin on
- 1 and ½ pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons salt, or more
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2-3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground Sumac
- Garnish: Fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F, 220 °C.
- Combine all of the spices in a small bowl and mix together.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in another bowl and whisk together.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken.
- Place the chicken and potatoes in a baking tray/pan.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and potatoes.
- Note: The chicken can be marinated with the marinade and spices for 24 hours before roasting, stored in the refrigerator. The potatoes should not be marinated ahead of time or they will turn brown. If you decide to marinate the chicken, make sure that it comes to room temperature before roasting.
- Season the potatoes and chicken with the spices.
- Roast for 45 minutes. Increase the temperature to 450 °F and roast until the potatoes are fork tender. About 15-20 minutes more.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve alongside a salad and some toasted bread. Enjoy!
- 1 English cucumber, peeled
- 1 and 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped dill
- olive oil for drizzling
- pita bread for dipping
- Grate the cucumber and sprinkle with some salt. Set aside in a bowl to release excess liquid.
- In the meantime, combine the yogurt, sour cream, garlic, salt and pepper in another bowl and mix well.
- Squeeze the cucumber with your hands or in a clean kitchen towel and discard the liquid it releases.
- Add the shredded cucumber to the dip and stir to incorporate. Add dill and mix well.
- Drizzle with olive oil and your creamy sauce is ready!
- Serve with crunchy veggies, pita, kebabs....the sky's the limit!!
- 1-pound green beans ends trimmed
- A handful of cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- A quarter of a small red onion, finely chopped
- 10 Kalamata olives halved
- Feta cheese, to taste and crumbled
- 5 dried figs, thinly sliced
- A quarter cup of toasted walnuts, chopped
- Half of a bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Add the green beans with a teaspoon of salt.
- Boil for 7-8 minutes or until tender but still crisp.
- Drain and place the beans in a bowl of ice water to shock them This will stop them from cooking further and will help them retain their bright green color.
- Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Make the salad dressing:
- Combine all of the ingredients into a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad:
- Combine all of the salad ingredients into a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss together.
- Transfer to a serving platter or bowl and serve. Enjoy
This salad keeps fresh stored in the refrigerator up to 2 days.