A vegan dessert that requires 4-5 ingredients and 15 minutes to make. So easy and delicious and it keeps fresh for months. You can’t beat that. Make some tahini halva for your family today 🙂
Use a Candy Thermometer
A candy thermometer (also can be used as a thermometer for frying) is a very inexpensive kitchen tool that’s necessary for making this easy dessert.
Insert it into the pot once the syrup starts boiling. The temperature that you’re looking for is 250 °F. It’s in between the soft ball and hard ball stage. This takes between 7-10 minutes of boiling.
- Stream the syrup into the bowl and fold the mixture together.
- do not overtax the halva otherwise it will dry out and begin to crumble.
- Add the nuts or chocolate chips into the tahini paste before adding the syrup to prevent over mixing.
- begin with room temperature tahini paste.
- Grease the measuring cups so that the tahini pours out of them easily. I like to use the oil that rises to the top of the tahini jar.
- drizzle the top with melted chocolate if desired.
- Store the halva in an airtight container in the refrigerator and it will keep fresh up to 2 months.
Serve the halva with a hot cup of Greek coffee and a glass of water.
Watch the Video
- 1 and 1/2 cups tahini paste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- Optional: 1/4 cup chopped nuts (pistachios, almonds, or your favorite nuts) or chocolate chips
Line a loaf pan (8 and 1/2-inch by 4 and 1/2-inch) with parchment paper.
Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Insert a candy thermometer into the mixture as soon as it comes to a boil. Remove the syrup from the heat once it reaches 250 °F. About 7-10 minutes of boining.
Add the tahini, salt, and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl and mix together.
Carefully add the syrup to the tahini mixture along with nuts (if adding) and fold together until just combined. Be careful and don't overmix it otherwise it will begin to crumble.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan. Set it aside to cool completely.
Slice the halva and serve it with Greek coffee. Enjoy!
Leftovers will keep fresh in an airtight container refrigerated for 1-2 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets, 12x16 Inches Non-Stick Precut Baking Parchment, Perfect for Baking Grilling Air Fryer Steaming Bread Cup Cake Cookie and More (Unbleached)
Pyrex 1.5-Quart Clear Basics Glass Loaf Pan (Set of 2)
Taylor Precision Products RA17724 5983Candy & Deep Fry Stainless Steel Paddle Thermometer, 12 inches, 1 EA, Multicolor