Stuffed mushrooms are the perfect party food. They’re bite-sized and packed with flavor and so easy to put together. I like to fill my mushrooms with fresh spinach, savory feta cheese, a few sundried tomatoes, and some herbs. They go great with roasted chicken, turkey, roast beef, and everything in between. They can be assembled a day ahead, refrigerated and baked the next day. Entertaining just became super simple.
- • 1- and 1/2-pounds mushrooms
- • 4 ounces baby spinach leaves, chopped
- • 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- • 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- • 1 egg, beaten in 1/4 cup water
- • 1/4 cup olive oil, plus two tablespoons for filling
- • 2 garlic cloves, minced
- • 2 sundried tomatoes packed in oil, finely chopped
- • salt, to taste
- • freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- • a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- • 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- • dried oregano for garnish
Preheat your oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
Clean the mushrooms with a clean, damp kitchen towel and place in a baking dish. Remove the stems from the mushrooms and save them for another recipe. I like to store mine in a freezer bag and save it for when I'm making stock.
In a bowl, combine the garlic, spinach, sundried tomatoes, breadcrumbs, oregano, feta, two tablespoons of olive oil, beaten egg with water, salt, pepper and mix well.
Fill the mushroom cavity with the filling.
Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Pour 1/4 cup of olive oil (or less) over the mushrooms and cover with foil.
Bake for 35-40 minutes.
Serve warm or hot.
The mushrooms can be stuffed a day ahead and stored in the refrigerator (before they are baked). Cover with foil. Bake and serve.