Greek comfort food that is perfect for the cooler weather. Serve it with some feta and enjoy it as a vegetarian main course. The sweetness of the cabbage also goes so well with meat and fish that it can easily be the perfect side to any main course. I love this dish because it is flavorful, inexpensive to make, and such a versatile recipe. Add ground meat, nuts, and dried fruit to create different versions of this wonderful classic.
Shop from my Amazon affiliate and support my work without an additional cost to you. Thank you!
- ½-3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomatoes, pureed
- 1 cabbage, chopped
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 cup of water
- Juice of a lemon
- Feta cheese
- Finely chopped parsley
- 1-pound ground beef
- ½ cup golden raisins or dried cranberries soaked in hot water until soft
- ½ cup toasted almonds or pine nuts
- Cook the onion, leek, and olive oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Add the garlic and warm through. Add the tomato sauce.
- Add the carrots, cabbage, salt, and pepper. Cook until the cabbage wilts. About 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Add the rice, 1 teaspoon of salt, and a cup of water. Bring to a boil, cover the pot and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and add the lemon juice with the parsley.
- Top with the raisins and almonds. Serve with feta cheese. Enjoy!
- If you are cooking this dish with ground meat, add it at the beginning right after the garlic. Cook the meat with the tomato sauce for 10 minutes then, follow the remaining steps.