Bring water to a boil in a saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and orzo pasta. Boil about 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pan and add shrimp. Season with salt, pepper, pepper flakes, and cumin powder. Cook 1-2 minutes on each side or until fully cooked and pink all around.
Remove the cooked shrimp from the pan and set aside to cool. Chop into bite sized pieces the same size as the vegetables.
Place the chopped cucumber, sliced tomatoes, and sliced olives in a big bowl. Add the orzo and chopped shrimp. Mix well.
Combine the olive oil, mustard and lemon juice in the pan that the shrimp were cooked in. Mix well with a whisk to emulsify.
Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
Add the crumbled feta cheese along with the dill and mix well.
This salad can be served immediately but tastes even better if allowed to chill in the refrigerator a few hours.
- Serves 4:
- 1/4 pound orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined with the tail on
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 Kalamata olives, cored and sliced
- feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 a large lemon
- 1 tablespoon mustard