- 6 sheets phyllo pastry (#4), thawed and at room temperature
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 5 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- jam, nuts, and/or dried fruit
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
- Notes on working with phyllo pastry:
- Thaw out the phyllo pastry in the refrigerator at least 1 day before using
- Allow the pastry to sit out (in its packaging) at room temperature at least 1 hour before using.
- Take the pastry out of plastic packaging at the time of use (not before) or it will dry out and crumble.
- To keep the pastry from drying out while working with it, place a dry kitchen towel over it and then a slightly damp kitchen towel over that.
- Slice the feta cheese into ½ inch thick sticks.
- Place the phyllo sheets onto a clean work surface and cut them in half lengthwise. Stack them on top of each other.
- Drizzle some butter over the phyllo and place a feta stick on the bottom portion of the phyllo. Fold the sides over the feta and roll upwards.
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Continue filling the phyllo strips with feta and any of your favorite fillings.
- Some good flavor combinations are:
- Fig jam and chopped walnuts
- Cranberries with the feta
- Apricot jam and sliced almonds
- Cranberry Holiday Jam and feta
- Brush with the remaining melted butter and bake on the center rack of the oven for 15 minutes.
- Set aside and allow to cool slightly. About 10 minutes.
- Serve with Greek honey.