A classic Greek dish that all comes together in one pot. Serve it to your friends and family! The lamb can also be substituted with goat or beef.
Cook the onions with olive oil over medium heat for 15 minutes or until onions are soft and golden. Add garlic and cook 5 minutes over medium-low heat.
Add lamb and sauté.
Season with salt, pepper, cinnamon stick, paprika and crushed red pepper flakes.
Add the canned tomatoes and the water.
Cover the pot and cook over high heat for about 1 hour stirring often so that the meat does not burn. Reduce heat to medium if the sauce reduces too fast before the meat becomes tender. Some stovetops cook faster than others, so use your judgement.
Add the chopped potatoes and season with some more salt (about 1 teaspoon). Cook over medium heat for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender and the sauce thickens beautifully.
Check the season and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Season with oregano and parsley.
Serve with rice or hot bread.
- Serves 6-8
- 4 pounds lamb, cut in medium sized pieces
- 2 medium or large onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup - 1/2 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (14.5 ounce) canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed oregano
- 4 cups water
- 5 Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley