BANANA NUT BREAD (WHOLE WHEAT)
Yield: 2 loaves
- 3 large, overripe bananas (I've used up to 6 bananas; they make it extra moist)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup light olive oil
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans
- This recipe is exceptionally moist with a lovely crunch on top from the walnuts. I made it using whole wheat flour for a nice healthy breakfast/brunch snack. You can absolutely make it with all purpose white flour. It will be lighter as the whole wheat flour makes it more dense. Whatever you choose to do, make it and enjoy with a nice hot cup of tea!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 3 x 7 inch bread pans.
- Beat the bananas with sugar to mash up nicely.
- Add the oil, vanilla extract and yogurt and beat well. Add one egg at a time until combined.
- Place all of the dry ingredients except for the nuts in a bowl and whisk them together.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients in three batches mixing well between each addition. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly into prepared pans. Sprinkle the nuts over the top.
- Place the loaf pans on a baking sheet and put in the oven.
- Immediately reduce the temperature to 325 degrees and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the toothpick no longer has wet batter attached when checked.
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Dust with some powdered sugar and enjoy!
- This banana bread can be frozen after baked. Just remove from pan and wrap it nicely with plastic wrap.
Leave a Reply