PSARI PLAKI: ROASTED FISH WITH ONIONS & TOMATOES
- 2 pounds cod fish, boneless fillets
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6-7 Kalamata olives, sliced
- Finely chopped fresh parsley
For the tomato sauce:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into half-moon slices
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 28 ounces (unflavored) canned tomatoes, pureed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½-1 teaspoon granulated sugar or honey
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
- To make the sauce: Cook the onions with the olive oil over medium heat until soft. About 10 minutes.
- Add the grated garlic and just stir until heated through.
- Add the tomato puree, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, sugar, and oregano. Simmer the sauce for 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Season the fish with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- In a 9 by 13-inch baking pan, pour half of the sauce on the bottom.
- Place the seasoned fish fillets over the sauce and pour the remaining tomato sauce over the fish. Top with sliced olives.
- Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.
- Serve with toasted bread. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply