PSARI PLAKI: ROASTED FISH WITH ONIONS & TOMATOES
- Serves 4:
- 2 pounds cod fish, boneless fillets
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- For the tomato sauce:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced into half-moon slices
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 28 ounces (unflavored) canned tomatoes, pureed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½-1 teaspoon granulated sugar or honey
- 6-7 Kalamata olives, sliced
- Finely chopped fresh parsley
Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
To make the sauce: Cook the onions with the olive oil over medium heat until soft. About 10 minutes.
Add the grated garlic and just stir until heated through.
Add the tomato puree, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, sugar, and oregano. Simmer the sauce for 15 minutes or until thickened.
Season the fish with salt, pepper, and oregano.
In a 9 by 13-inch baking pan, pour half of the sauce on the bottom.
Place the seasoned fish fillets over the sauce and pour the remaining tomato sauce over the fish. Top with sliced olives.
Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the fish flakes easily.
Serve with toasted bread. Enjoy!