- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- a pinch of salt
- Here's another recipe that takes such little time and effort to prepare yet is so delicious and way better than the prepared stuff in a jar sold at supermarkets. You probably already have all of the ingredients in your kitchen.
- Use lemon curd as is to dip berries in or smother it on scones or on pound cake. Make luscious lemon mousse with it.... The options are endless.
- You may substitute lime or orange in this recipe if you like 🙂
- Create a double boiler using a saucepan and a heat proof bowl that fits securely on top of the saucepan without touching the water.
- Pour some water in the sauce pan and bring it to a boil.
- Place the eggs and sugar in the heat proof bowl and whisk them well. Add the remaining ingredients except the lemon zest. Place them over the boiling water. Make sure the bowl is not touching the water!!!!!!
- Reduce the heat to medium.Keep whisking the mixture continuously for 5-6 minutes. It will thicken slightly. Add the lemon zest and stir.
- Remove from heat and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the lemon curd to cool down and come to room temperature. Place it in the refrigerator for about 1 and 1/2 hours to cool down and it will thicken.
- It will keep well stored in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Who are we kidding though? It never makes it past day 2 in my home 🙂 It's helpful to know when you are preparing this yummy curd for a brunch. It will cut your prep work if you make it in advance!
- Happy cooking 🙂