- Serves 4-5:
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef cubes
- 3 onions, chopped, about 1 pound (780 grams)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes, pureed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 teaspoons dried crushed oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds red bell peppers (4 large peppers), seeded and cubed
- 10-12 small mushrooms (8 oz./230 grams), sliced
Preheat the oven to 500 °F, 260 °C.
Place a baking tray in the oven to heat up.
Drizzle ½ cup olive oil over beef and season with salt and black pepper. Mix well to combine.
Place the beef in the heated tray in one even layer and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until brown.
Combine the chopped onions, garlic, and ¼ cup olive oil in a pot and cook over medium heat about 10-15 minutes or until soft and golden.
Add browned beef, tomatoes, bay leaf, vinegar, and spices, pour enough water to just cover the meat. Bring to a boil. Cover the pot and simmer over medium low heat, stirring often, for about 45 minutes. Check for doneness. Add more water if needed. Cook about 15-20 more minutes or until sauce reduces and meat is tender.
Place the sliced mushrooms in a baking pan in one even layer. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine. Roast at 500 °F for 10 minutes or until browned. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
Place the cubed red peppers in the same baking tray, drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine and spread them in one even layer in the pan. Roast at 475 °F (250 °C) for about 20 minutes or until softened and slightly charred.
Stir in the roasted bell peppers along with the roasted mushrooms. Stir and warm through about 2 minutes.
Serve over mashed potatoes, with toasted bread, or with a rice pilaf.