GREEK STYLE BEEF STEW WITH ROASTED RED PEPPERS
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef cubes
- 3 onions, chopped, about 1 pound (780 grams)
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes, pureed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 teaspoons dried crushed oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds red bell peppers (4 large peppers), seeded and cubed
- 10-12 small mushrooms (8 oz./230 grams), sliced
- Preheat the oven to 500 °F, 260 °C.
- Place a baking tray in the oven to heat up.
- Drizzle ½ cup olive oil over beef and season with salt and black pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Place the beef in the heated tray in one even layer and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until brown.
- Combine the chopped onions, garlic, and ¼ cup olive oil in a pot and cook over medium heat about 10-15 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Add browned beef, tomatoes, bay leaf, vinegar, and spices, pour enough water to just cover the meat. Bring to a boil. Cover the pot and simmer over medium low heat, stirring often, for about 45 minutes. Check for doneness. Add more water if needed. Cook about 15-20 more minutes or until sauce reduces and meat is tender.
- Place the sliced mushrooms in a baking pan in one even layer. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine. Roast at 500 °F for 10 minutes or until browned. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
- Place the cubed red peppers in the same baking tray, drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine and spread them in one even layer in the pan. Roast at 475 °F (250 °C) for about 20 minutes or until softened and slightly charred.
- Stir in the roasted bell peppers along with the roasted mushrooms. Stir and warm through about 2 minutes.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, with toasted bread, or with a rice pilaf.
Leave a Reply